Withum’s continued success is due to our Tax Controversy Team, a highly specialized team of tax professionals and the strong relationships that we have built with auditors nationwide at the federal, state, and local level.
If you are faced with an audit, our group will manage the process throughout and fight to obtain the best possible results at its conclusion. We are proactive in our approach and will be your strongest ally. We advocate for you so that a swift resolution will be reached.
Our team’s experience allows us to identify areas that present higher audit risks. Our specialists will assist you before you file by providing tax planning and compliance services. We have professionals with expertise in the following areas:
- Federal income tax
- Research and development credits
- Cost Segregation
- Voluntary disclosure programs
- Assessments and collection
- Digital Currency and Blockchain
- Tax Dispute and Litigation Services
- Employment taxes
- International planning
- Transfer pricing
- State income tax and nexus
- State sales and use tax
- Residency changes
During the Examination Process
When faced with a business or personal tax audit, you can rely on us to take control of the examination process and represent you every step of the way. Our team works with you and the taxing authorities to ensure that you are being treated fairly and that the information being requested is reasonable. We will work directly with the taxing authorities to limit or eliminate your interaction and involvement throughout the audit process.
Resolving Examination Issues
Our experts will assist with reaching a favorable resolution if the taxing authorities take issue with a position taken on a return. We can assist you in:
- Fast Track Settlements –We can represent you at a Fast Track Settlement conference.
- Appeals –We can represent you through the formal appeals process.
- Penalty Abatement –We can assist with penalty abatement requests as well as penalties resulting from late filed returns or late payments.
- Offer in Compromise (OIC) –We can assist you with filing an OIC, which allows qualified taxpayers to settle tax debts for less than the full amount owed.
Post-Audit/Dispute Resolution Options
Should you have an unresolved dispute after an audit or otherwise find yourself at odds with the government, our team of tax controversy specialists will provide you with a wide range of options. They include, but are not limited to:
- Long-term repayment plans
- Lien discharge
- Forgiveness for your tax debt
For more information or to discuss your business needs, contact Withum’s Tax Services Team.
Red Bank, NJ
Princeton, NJ - Corporate Headquarters
Whistleblowers in Tax Matters
“We don’t pay taxes. Only the little people pay taxes.” That infamous quote from Leona Helmsley sums up the (mostly unspoken) opinions of many taxpayers. Unfortunately for them, there are […]
Taking Aggressive Tax Positions in Light of the Expected IRS Hiring Binge
Thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act the IRS is hiring thousands of new field agents and examiners. Before this new funding, taxpayers of all stripes and income brackets enjoyed a […]
The IRS Warns Taxpayers To Be Wary of the Dirty Dozen Tax Scams for 2022
As far as the IRS is concerned, not all tax scams should be treated equally. Last month the Service announced which scams made the list comprising the IRS’s “Dirty Dozen” […]