Podcast: Opportunity Zones Tax Benefits
OpportunityDb’s Jimmy Atkinson interviewed Tony Nitti, real estate tax law expert, CPA. He also serves on the editorial advisory board for The Tax Adviser. And he’s a contributor at Forbes.com, where he recently published a thorough primer on the opportunity zones tax incentive.
Click here to listen as Tony and Jimmy dissect the basics of the opportunity zones tax code, explore some unintended consequences and loopholes introduced by the proposed IRS regulations, and discuss who the actual drivers behind most opportunity zone investments will be.
- Who the drivers behind most opportunity zone investments will be. (Hint: it probably won’t be the investors themselves.)
- Why 2019 is a very important year for opportunity zone investors seeking capital gains deferral.
- Biggest surprises from the proposed IRS regulations that were published last month, including friendly rules regarding partnerships and corporations, and the new 31-month holding period rule.
- Unintended consequences introduced by the proposed IRS regulations, including the potentially precarious position that investors will be in when it comes time to exit by the end of 2047.
- Biggest unanswered questions that the industry is still waiting on the IRS for guidance.
- How Tony’s clients are beginning to move forward with opportunity fund investing.