At Withum, inclusion and diversity (I&D) have always been paramount to our Firm, and we continue to take steps to strengthen this commitment. Intentionally focusing on enhancing our I&D initiatives enables us to deepen our perspectives on how we perform as a team and serve our clients as part of our value-driven culture. Our actions drastically affect our ability to recruit, retain, develop and advance all Firm talent, especially underrepresented talent (URT). At Withum, we embrace the power of the intersections of our team members’ identities, including those who identify as people of color (Asian, Latinx, Black), a member of the LGBTQ+ community, a person with a disability, a veteran or a woman. Our goal is to develop strong leaders who can thrive in their careers. Achieving this goal starts with promoting our team members’ diverse backgrounds to foster a sense of belonging within the Firm, our client relationships and the communities we serve.
Our actions to furthering I&D encompass many aspects of our firm initiatives.
Encourage the foundational success of our value-driven culture through leadership accountability. Bill Hagaman, Withum’s Managing Partner and CEO, emphasizes this commitment in his CEO Statement on I&D.
Engaged Bill Bradshaw (he/him/his) as the Firm’s first Director of Inclusion and Diversity.
Elected Theresa Richardson as the first female on the Firm’s Management Committee.
Focused on developing and enhancing our Inclusion and Diversity efforts as part of the Firm’s Vision 2023 Strategic Plan.
Created the inaugural Inclusion and Diversity Collaboration Council, which includes stakeholders within the firm from diverse backgrounds who meet regularly to ensure Withum’s I&D efforts are working and in alignment with the Firm’s I&D Strategic Pillars.
Partnered with several I&D industry and professional associations to enhance our talent acquisition and development of URT at the Firm, and we continue to expand our relationships from this lens.
Partnered with ASCEND on their 5-Point Action Agenda.
Became a signatory of the CEO Action for Diversity and InclusionTM, the largest CEO-driven business commitment to advancing diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Engaged as board members and in leadership roles at nonprofits where our partners and team members give back to organizations with missions to serve those in underrepresented communities.
Increased intentional awareness about team member data transparency and measurement to ensure we recruit, retain, develop and advance our diverse talent pool.
Our recent employee engagement survey shows:
The true fabric of Withum's culture
The true fabric of Withum’s culture is rooted in our people and the unique perspectives and experiences they bring to work every day. When our team members engage with their peers, clients and communities as their most authentic selves, they demonstrate the honesty and openness of our culture. This transparency encourages an environment where everyone has the opportunity to reach their fullest potential and thrive in their careers. Being actively engaged enhances our team members’ abilities to deliver innovative solutions and the thoughtful advice our clients deserve and expect.
Developing tomorrow’s leaders requires advocacy, allies, mentorship and sponsorship. We have recently launched seven-team member resource groups (TMRGs) in addition to our formalized Career Coaching program. Typically referred to as employee resource groups (ERGs), Withum’s TMRGs serve individuals in our Asian, BLAAC (Black, Latinx, African-American, African and Caribbean), Disability, Hispanic/Latino, LGBTQ+, Veterans, and WoW (Women of Withum) communities.
Withum’s TMRG Efforts Focus on:
- Enhancing inclusion, engagement and advocacy for underrepresented talent within the Firm.
- Creating awareness and education around our diverse talent’s unique perspectives strengthens community, belonging and understanding.
- Attracting the best and brightest talent who possess a genuine passion for the profession.
- Advocating for one another through career coaching, mentoring, networking, training, community involvement and professional organizations so everyone has an equal opportunity to grow and thrive in their career.
- Strengthening our relationships with clients through a shared vision for more inclusive and diverse teams and cultures.
- Partnering with suppliers and contractors, whenever possible, that mirror our diverse talent and embrace the same value-driven culture.
We focus on meaningful engagement with our clients to deepen our relationships and strengthen our I&D initiatives.
- Clients often share their expertise and experiences as guest speakers, panelists, podcast guests and round table participants for Firm-wide and niche-focused events. This effort enhances a sense of community and belonging and deepens ties across industry verticals.
- Our WoW TMRG hosts year-round events bringing together clients and business contacts. Our programs aim to motivate, advocate, and elevate women in business with added fun and personality.
- During our annual WWoC (Withum Week of Caring), and at various times throughout the year, we volunteer at nonprofits to help further efforts in achieving their missions. Many of the organizations focus on serving constituents that represent the underrepresented talent in our TMRGs. Some of these nonprofits include: Embrace Kids Foundation, Freedom Ride, IEP Youth Services, Midland School, One Simple Wish, Ronald McDonald Houses, Westhab, Inc. and Wreaths Across America.
Inclusion and Diversity Strategic Pillars:
With inclusive, diverse teams, we can help our clients to Be in a Position of StrengthSM. By harnessing the power of unique perspectives, we can address our client’s most pressing challenges and offer innovative solutions while fostering a workplace where our team members can thrive in their careers. We achieve this vision by focusing our efforts in three strategic areas: Workforce, Workplace and Marketplace/Community.
Our Workforce is at the core of our success. We are intentional in our efforts to recruit, retain and advance underrepresented talent at all levels. We believe that diverse perspectives bring strength and innovation to create stronger teams.
Our Workplace priorities focus on fostering a culture of inclusion where our team members feel empowered to be their authentic selves. A testament to our culture’s honesty— we strive to promote a sense of belonging where everyone has the opportunity to contribute to the Firm’s growth and success, have an entrepreneurial mindset, and bring big ideas and curiosity to work every day.
Our Marketplace/Community priorities come to fruition through our corporate social responsibility (CSR) efforts to support the communities we serve. This pledge strengthens our relationships to enhance Withum’s reputational capital and recognition as an employer and service provider of choice.
We are committed to upholding each aspect of our I&D initiatives, measuring our progress and expanding our I&D efforts as new opportunities present themselves. From Firm leadership to our man team members in all aspect of our Firm, we believe it is everyone’s responsibility to live the Withum Way and embrace the power of #OneWithum.