Late 2021, the New Jersey Commission on Science, Innovation and Technology (CSIT) announced the creation of a $1.5 million Catalyst Seed Research and Development Grant Program to assist New Jersey-based startups accelerate development of technologies. The application for this grant opened on December 6, 2021 and is available on the NJEDA website here.
The grant is available to companies conducting R&D in the following targeted industries as identified in Governor Phil Murphy’s economic development plan: Advanced Manufacturing, Transportation and Logistics, Film and Digital Media, Life Sciences, Non-Retail Food and Beverage, Finance and Professional Services, and Technology.
There are two categories of the grant:
- It is anticipated there will be five awards of up to $150,000 for projects that are developing life sciences therapeutics.
- It is anticipated there will be ten awards of up to $75,000 for other innovation projects.
To be eligible for funding, applicants will be required to demonstrate at least one of the following for their projects:
- Description of the proof-of-concept results,
- Published paper outlining results achieved,
- Successful completion of a federal Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) grant or contract related to the project,
- Confirmation documentation from a university tech transfer office if the project relates to technology that has been developed at a university.