Scott is a Tax Partner based in Withum’s Morristown, NJ office, and is Practice Leader of the Firm’s Healthcare Services Group and a member of the Firm’s Not-for-Profit Services Group. He has over 20 years of experience in providing tax consulting and compliance services to the healthcare and non-profit sectors, specializing in providing tax advice to integrated healthcare delivery systems, hospitals, medical centers and their affiliates. In addition to traditional tax services, Scott’s other specialized areas of tax expertise include Form 990 planning; governance; executive compensation and employee benefits; community benefit; tax-exempt bonds; joint ventures; unclaimed property; intermediate sanctions; corporate restructuring, including mergers and acquisitions; fair market analysis and due diligence services; and IRS and state audit examination representation.
Scott is a graduate of Villanova University, with a bachelor’s of science degree in Accounting. He received his juris doctor from Seton Hall Law School. Scott is a member of the American Bar Association, American Health Lawyers Association and the Healthcare Financial Management Association, where he is both a frequent author and speaker on healthcare and not-for-profit industry-related tax matters and issues. He is also currently a member of the Board of Directors of the HFMA New Jersey chapter. Scott’s recent healthcare tax presentations include the following:
- HFMA ANI, Healthcare Industry Tax Update 2014, June 2014
- Philadelphia HFMA, Healthcare Industry Tax Update, May 2014
- NJHA, Community Benefit and Schedule H Update, January 2014
- Philadelphia HFMA, Readiness Assessment for Section 501(r), December 2013
- NJHFMA, Moderator – CFO Panel Current Hospital Marketplace, November 2013
- HFMA ANI, Healthcare Tax Update Rules, Regulations and Changes, June 2013
- CTCPA/CTHFMA, Healthcare Tax Update, November 2012
- NJHFMA, Healthcare Industry Tax Update, April 2012, June 2011, 2010 and 2008
- Philadelphia HFMA, A Closer Look: Healthcare Tax Update, June, 2011
- NJSCPA, Healthcare Tax Update, September 2012, 2011 and 2010
- United Jewish Communities Financial and Technology Professionals National Institute, New IRS Federal Form 990 and Supplemental Schedules, Fall 2012, 2010 and 2009
- Georgetown University Law School, Joint Ventures involving tax-exempt organizations; including ancillary healthcare joint ventures, February, 2009
- NJSCPA, New IRS Federal Form 990: Taking a Closer Look, January, 2009
Scott has provided pro bono tax services to the Bergen County Legal Services for individuals who require tax advice but cannot afford to pay an attorney or accountant; his pro bono work was recognized with an award from the Bergen County Legal Services.